Wednesday, March 30, 2011

World Tour - New York

I had not been to New York, since I left September 10, 2008. I hated it when I lived there but I HAD to renew my drivers license. If I did not do it now, I would have to retake the written and road test. It took me too long to pass those the first time, so I was not going to repeat that.

Asmus decided we should stay overnight, so we wouldn't have to rush. All our trips to Meridien hotels resulted in a nice chunk of frequent visitor points. Because Asmus loves a swimming pool, I had two options for hotels and we settled for the Parker Meridien. Uptown, not uptight for $90. Our room was a great and the pool was crazy. When you come out of the pool, some poor college student awaited you with a towel. The only annoying thing about the hotel. It took more than an our to get a price list for the minibar. Asmus could not wait, so we ended up paying $39 for a 8-ounce bottle of Grey Goose.




As we walked from the subway to the hotel, I started to feel the familiarity and I fell in love. Ugh! Asmus noticed me relax and put up the idea of staying an extra night. I said, Yes, please. There we were!

Of course, we had massages.

One of my two favorite restaurants in New York is Cafe Boulud. I decided to take a chance with Daniel Boulud's newest outpost, Bar Boulud. After a day of email tag, I wrangled Tom into dinner at 7:45.

Of course, it was fabulous to see Tom. We just jump into this rhythm. At times, I worry whether Asmus and Tim, Tom's husband, feel left out, so I started directing topics at people. Not very elegant but it is the thought that counts.

Our patient server let us sit there until 11:45. The classic French food and French wine was divine. I like the fact that you get the price of specials in the little specials spiel. I was on such a high after that evening.

That kept me going when I showed up 20 minutes before the Department of Motor Vehicles opened and I discovered I was about the 60th person in line. We waited on the street until the office opened. When the office opened, the crowd was divided and the visit went quickly. I am now legal to drive. Look out world.

During our three days in New York, Asmus and I saw the movies, Adjustment Bureau and HappyThankYouMorePlease. I had movie theater hot dogs, movie theater popcorn with fake butter and two good movies. Life was good.



Of course, there was shopping and television. I almost tore my hair out trying to get two rings I bought for Christmas enlarged. After almost an hour with a saleswoman, I was told I could do it, then I couldn't for both but I could for one, and then finally, I could not do it for either ring. I seethed about that until I met up with my friend Jennifer.

Jennifer had just lost her job. That was much more important than my ring heartache. Her resolve and energy were amazing. We ate and drank and drank and drank.

Good times.

1 comment:

  1. what? Why couldn't you get the rings sized? Maybe a jeweler in Germany will do it for you? Or can you just shove it on your finger somehow? this is very sad because those rings were awesome.

    ReplyDelete