Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Happy Birthday to Me!


I just got back from a short world tour. Along the way I celebrated my birthday. My first birthday in the U.S. of A. in three years.


There was Food, Folks and Fun!
Mom made a big Sunday dinner the day before my birthday. Both sisters came. Beloved nephew was there. Favorite cousin Louise showed. Louise was a groovy surprise. She called to say that she was in too much pain to come. An hour after we started eating stuffed pork chops, the doorbell rang. Surprise, it was Louise!

After the great food, there was a marathon Taboo session. My German husband and I almost beat a bunch of native Americans.

On my actual birthday, Asmus and I hit a day spa in the Chestnut Hills section of Philadelphia. I had a facial and the best massage that I have ever had. Then Mom picked us up and we headed to Plymouth Meeting, Pennsylvania for the second-happiest place on Earth -- Dave & Buster's. There was ridiculous amounts of food, video shooting games, and, best of all, air hockey.

A good time was had by all.

I was a bit worried about Asmus. My birthday is the same day as my father-in-law. It was the first birthday since Friedrich's death. Asmus said he was fine. It did feel a bit weird having the spotlight to myself but I did enjoy being with my family and friends in my hometown on my birthday.

Oddly enough, I got congratulations from people in Germany. I am not sure why. For the two birthdays I celebrated here, no one said, Happy Birthday, to me. Apparently, absence makes the heart grow fonder. Coincidentally, I got tired of wrangling friends to celebrate for my birthday when I was living in New York and I started taking vacations. Life is a circle. It was nice that people in Germany thought well of me.

1 comment:

  1. I don't celebrate my birthday, holidays, etc, but I'm happy that you're happy! That's all that matters. I didn't know you were on your way here. Didn't get the memo. Next time we'll hook up for sure. Much love to you and Asmus... Kiki

    ReplyDelete