Saturday, January 31, 2009

Free at Last!

It has been a busy month. I did the job search thing in the midst of a super-recession. I have been rejected for writing jobs, editing jobs, and, best of all, internships. Your ego takes a beating when you cannot get an interview to work as an intern. I assume that I am over-qualified but I have been a fan of that term. It is an internship. Of course, you are bored and too qualified to make coffee and photocopies. Anyone over the age of 12 is over-qualified to make copies. But damn it still stings.



It hasn't been all pain. I voluntarily [Read: work for free.] edit the food, health and culture pages for Pride magazine. Pride is a British Essence.











I work for free as an incentive for cash-strapped editors to consider me. When the Pride editors allowed me to work with them, I get British experience to put on the resume, more clips, connections in the British industry, and more people to use as recommendations. Plus, I like the work. I got a rush coming up with the story ideas and finding this sources. My work is in in the February issue of Pride . I am in even in the staff box.

So run out and get a copy of Pride. I am pretty proud that I made flossing interesting and I love my blurb about the new production of Othello by the Royal Shakespeare Company. Pride is available in large bookstores in America. Better yet, why not subscribe to Pride.

No comments:

Post a Comment